A brief history of our premises
January 1908. The inaugural church formation meetings conducted by the evangelist and preacher Gipsy Smith. In March 1908 Norton Mission Meetings held in a shed at the junction of Norton Road and Cashio Lane. The shed cost £20!
October 1914. The first part of the building was built at a cost of £239. £13.50 of this came from the sale of the shed! A new extension was built in July 1924 and the present church and rear rooms were opened in 1934.In 1996 the premises were subject to an arson attack, and partially destroyed. A rebuilding programme commenced, the restoration costing nearly £200,000: an additional £300,000 was spent over the following eight years to modernise and further extend the premises for community use.
There are now two halls and two rooms available for use with full kitchen and toilet facilities. The premises have been home of the Letchworth Arcadians for over 40 years and are extensively used by a number of under fives groups and other organisations. The premises are managed by a part-time manager and supported by volunteers.